Subway Trains Collide in Manhattan, Train Derails

0
212
Subway Trains Collides in Manhattan, Train Derails
Subway Trains Collides in Manhattan, Train Derails

Subway Trains Collide in Manhattan, Train Derails

By Reporter 4

the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (M.T.A) has confirmed that a Subway train had derailed near 96th Street with eight people taken to hospitals with injuries.

A subway train carrying about 300 people collided with a work train near West 96th Street in Manhattan on Thursday afternoon, January 4, 2024, causing one of them to derail, the authorities confirmed.

According to officials, 24 people were injured when a northbound 1 train collided with the work train around 3 p.m. today.

A report from the internal police about the collision said at least eight of the passengers were taken to hospitals adding that none of the injuries were considered life-threatening.

The report added that the work train was switching tracks when it was struck by the passenger train, causing it to derail from its track.

Speaking on the incident, M.T.A officials at a news conference on Thursday, January 4, 2024, said that the crash did not appear to be related to an equipment malfunction.

The President of New York City Transit, the M.T.A. division, Richard Davey, that operates the subway, said that the work train had been vandalized.

He stated further that many of its emergency brake cords had been pulled; most had been reset but one prevented the train from leaving the station when it was struck.

“Thankfully, there were no serious injuries,” Mr. Davey said. “Obviously, two trains should not be bumping into one another. We’re going to get to the bottom of that.”

ALSO READ  Tinubu Inaugurates National Minimum Wage Committee

The M.T.A. confirmed in a social media post that a train had derailed near 96th Street and Broadway, and that service would be suspended “while emergency teams assist passengers.”

The Services on the 1, 2 and 3 lines was suspended throughout most of Manhattan after the derailment.

Mr. Davey stated that he expected crews to be working at the station throughout the night.

“It’s a little messy down there, it’s going to take us a while to get this service back and running,” he said.

Mr Davey hoped to have service restored for rush hour on Wednesday morning but could not guarantee it.

A passenger, Mariame Diallo, 15, said she was on a No. 3 train behind the work train when it derailed.

Mariame, on her way back from school said she had almost boarded the No. 1 train that crashed. However, she waited for the next train so that she could ride with three of her classmates.

“I guess it pays to stick with your friends,” she said.

ALSO READ: Nigerian Student in Canada Killed, NIDCOM Assures Justice

 

 

Written by: Aisha

Discover more from Campus News

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.